Psychological, emotional and social well-being is the major component of Psychological or mental health. Our feelings, thinking and acting are basically based on these components. If we are emotionally and psychologically strong then our feeling, thinking and acting are perfect. Psychological health basically controls our emotions and gives us the strength to bear stress. It has very much importance from childhood to adulthood and adulthood to adolescence.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), Psychological health is defined as:
“A state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities which can work productively, fruitfully, cope with the normal stresses of life and make a contribution to his or her community.”
Factors affecting psychological health
Psychological health is affected by the following factors:
1- Genetic or inheritance factors on psychological health
It is a biological factor which includes gene or brain chemistry. Due to these factors, psychological problems run in families. For example, you may develop schizophrenia if your parents have schizophrenia. It is a serious mental or psychological disorder in which a person faces abnormality in thinking and performing normal functions. Researchers said that most of the psychological problems occur due to genes abnormality but they did not find the specific genes which are responsible for these problems.
2- Life experiences
Personal experiences and social conditions like a family relationship, unemployment, poverty and violence may deeply affect your psychological health.
There are many other conditions which affect our psychological health like the environment in which we born, live, grow, work, and also money distribution, power and resources.
Some life experiences which also affects your psychological health are given as
- Self-worth: It is the value which you give yourself. If your self-esteem or self-worth is good then your psychological health is also good.
- Feeling loved: If your parents and society give you love, affection, and self-esteem then you grow with good psychological health and you may feel easiness, protected and safe. Due to this you also become able to deal and communicate with people with a positive attitude.
- Family loss or breakup: Parents attitude and affection also affected the psychological health of people. If parents are separated or divorced then their children face many health problems due to stress or depression.
- Confidence: Lack of confidence also shows negative effects on psychological health. So, you should develop good confidence in dealing and accepting challenges and risks of life
- Physical ill-health: We know that a healthy body has a healthy mind. So, if you face any physical health problem then your mental or psychological health is also affected.
- Difficult behaviour: If you feel sadness due to simple life issues and your sadness become severe or persistent then it may lead to psychological health problems.
- Abuse: Abuse is the great risk factor which affects the psychological or mental health of children. In reality, it can cause feelings of low self-growth, depression, deficiency of self-confidence, annoyance and loneliness. All of these factors make the children unhappy all over life.
Anxiety disorders are the most common types of psychological or mental illness. In fact, the person who has an anxiety disorder, feel severe fear or anxiety, which is interconnected to many situations or objects. Anxiety disorder includes panic disorder, phobias, Obsessive-compulsive disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder.
4- Mood disorders
Due to mood disorders (depressive disorders or affective disorders), a person has major changes in mood, generally involving either depression or elation (mania). Mood disorders comprise Major depression, bipolar disorder, persistent depressive disorder and seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
These are the major factors that should be controlled to preserve psychological health:
- Lack of attention
- Eating Disorder
- Social Isolation and loneliness
- Facing discrimination and disgrace
- Facing poverty or liability
- Sadness due to losing close ones
- Long-term or Sever stress
Symptoms of psychological health Disorder
If a person shows any of the following symptoms then he should need medical attention. These symptoms include:
- Withdrawing from society or activities they would normally enjoy.
- Eating or sleeping too little or too much.
- Feeling as if nothing matters.
- Steadily low energy.
- Consuming drugs more than average (including nicotine and alcohol).
- Presenting strange emotions.
- Not being able to complete normal tasks, such as cooking a meal or getting to work.
- Determined memories or thoughts that rematerialize regularly.
- Sophisticated of harming one’s self or others.
- Hearing voices.
- Feeling miserable or depressed.
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate.
- Extreme worries or fears, or dangerous feelings of guilt.
- Difficult to manage with everyday pressure or problems.
- Difficult in accepting and connecting to circumstances.
- Eating too much or too less.
- Variation in sexual emotions.
- Extreme annoyance, anger or ferocity
- Desperate thinking
Psychological health disorder treatment
There are many ways to treat people who have psychological or mental health problems. It is significant to know that treatment varies from person to person especially in the case of mental health.
Some treatments or strategies are very much effective when combined with others. A patient who has a chronic psychological disorder may pick different possibilities at different stages in their life. The majority of specialists say that a patient who is well-informed is possibly the best judge of what treatment suits them best.
Psychological or mental disorder treatments may include:
1- Psychotherapy (also known as talking therapies)
This is a psychological approach used by trained health professionals to treat mental illness. This treatment discovers feelings, thoughts, and behaviours, and also improves the person’s well-being. Psychotherapy with medication is a very effective way to encourage recovery. Cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT), dialectical behaviour therapy and exposure therapy are examples of psychotherapy.
Actually, medications can not cure or treat mental disorders, but some medications can recover symptoms. Medication with psychotherapy is a very effective way to encourage recovery.
A self-help strategy is an exclusive health strategy where a person addresses his or her ailment by applying strategies that stimulate wellness. Self-helping may include lifestyle changes such as eating well, sleeping more and reducing alcohol intake.
Psychological, emotional and social wellness is the key component of mental or psychological health. Emotional and psychological health reflects strong and perfect feelings, thinking and behaviours. Psychological health can control our thinking and emotions and is very much important from childhood to adulthood. The mental or psychological disorders occur due to genetic or inheritance factors, life experiences, anxiety and mood disorders. The genetic factors mean that family history of mental disorders which leads from generation to generation. Life experiences like self-worth, insult, lack of confidence or abuse may lead to a severe psychological disorder. Anxiety is the key component for causing mental health problem because long term anxiety leads to depression which affects the normal brain functions. Mood disorders occur when a person is highly depressed and cannot face the normal situations of daily life.
The symptoms of a mentally disturbed person include withdrawing from society, eating or sleeping too much or too less, misperception, strange emotions, anger and misbeliefs.
Psychological or mental disorders or treated with psychotherapy, medication or self-helping. In psychotherapy technique, health professional treated affected people by discovering and changing negative things in their life. There is no medicine which is used to treat mental disorders but medication helps to lower and recover the symptoms. In self-helping strategy, a person itself changes his lifestyle to nullify the symptoms of psychological disorders.